Japanese clothing retailer Uniqlo will open its first two Canadian stores in Toronto next year. This week the popular international retailer beloved by regular folk and fashion plates alike finally confirmed the company will open two flagship-level stores in Toronto: a 28,000 square-foot location at the Eaton Centre downtown, and a 24,000 square-foot location at Yorkdale Shopping Centre.
The stores will open in the fall of 2016.
The casual clothing retailer offers moderately priced apparel and accessories for men, women, children and babies including button-down shirts and blouses, sweaters, T-shirts, sweats, jeans, loungewear, hats, bags and belts. The company also offers unique and proprietary collections such as its Ultra Light Down outerwear and functional HEATTECH and AIRism apparel.
We can’t wait!
It’s no secret that wellness seekers love to travel. Destination spas, yoga retreats and luxury wellness resorts invite their guests to unwind, meditate and disconnect from urban stresses, and their popularity is growing.
But times are changing, and so have the needs of people looking for more adventure and authenticity. We want to combine our passions with favourite destinations, while staying active and perhaps leaving in better shape than when we arrived. It’s not enough to just be pampered at a retreat — we’re demanding more culturally-relevant activities and natural fitness experiences.
If you’re looking for more than the standard resort experience, there are some unique options to be found in the active travel marketplace. When planning your wellness vacation, here are a few tips to consider:
Do your research. Make sure the trip you are booking offers activities at an intensity level that’s appropriate. Professional operators will be able to help you decide if a trip is right for you.
Look for opportunities where you can learn. Going to a hotel gym at a resort won’t teach you much, but a chance to train outdoors with a qualified coach will give you lots of ideas to take home.
Explore new passions. Like to cook or learn new languages? Some fitness vacations combine special interests with daily exercise to keep you healthy and fulfilled.
Ease into you new environment, especially in hot weather. It can take a few days to become accustomed to physical activity in conditions you’re not used to. Workouts done in the morning are best.
Take time to get acquainted with the local culture and its people. While it’s easy to just stay on a resort or spa, you won’t get the feel of a special destination without some cultural context.
If the idea of staying active while getting off the beaten path sounds like it might be a good fit for you, here’s an upcoming opportunity in Greece:
Travels By Nature (travelsbynature.com) is a 10-day natural fitness and cultural adventure in rural Greece. The program includes morning workouts, mountain treks and daily mobility training — authentically situated off the tourist treadmill in the mountain villages of mainland Greece. A look at traditional diet factors, cooking healthy Greek food, and even the chance to learn a few Greek dances will also be included. Travels by Nature is a unique combination of fitness and folklore, inclusive of traditional accommodations, guides, meals and all domestic transportation.
The next trip is from July 18-28, 2015 and is currently booking. For more information, visit www.travelsbynature.com
Tights are a necessity during colder months. Unfortunately, most tights don’t really offer much warmth. And the ones that do are often thick, bulky knit ones–which can be cute, but that’s not always the look I’m going for. Enter Uniqlo’s basic Heat Tech tights, which look like your average pair of opaque black tights, but are somehow incredible warm. They are the perfect pair to get you through winter. bThey are soft and stretchy but not to stretchy that they lose shape. Featured in perfect colors for winter layering. At $12.5 a pair they are very affordable.
Tired of the same old Jack-o-latern that your carve up each year? We have rounded up some great alternatives to your traditional carved pumpkin. Beware – some of these styles are not for the newbie DIY-er.
Pumpkins With Scary Etchings (via Martha Stewart):
To render the glowing silhouettes, two techniques were used: The bright candelabrum and goblet are cut through the pumpkins’ walls, while the textured quill and skull are pared gently from the outer shells. Pumpkins of different hues, including white ‘Lumina,’ a green-gray ‘Jarrahdale,’ and burnt-orange cheese pumpkins, add tonal variety.
Gold Thumbtack Covered Pumpkins (Via Madigan Made)
If you have some spare thumbtacks lying around and enjoy repetitive tasks then this pumpkin DIY is for you!
Glittery Pumpkin (Via BHG):
Glam up a pumpkin with silver sequins, rhinestones, and a metallic silver spider.
Running too late to slather on moisturizer post-shower? Wrangler’s got your gams covered — in aloe vera and olive oil extract.
Wrangler has introduced a trio of Denim Spa Jeans that claim to moisturize and fight cellulite. Ingredients such as rose hip oil, retinol, caffeine and shea butter are sprayed onto the jeans before being dried in an oven. How does it work? In non-traditional Wrangler style, the jeans are cut tight, so the friction between fabric and skin bursts open the microcapsules containing those soothing substances. The treatment lasts six to eight washes. The new jeans, currently available for about $150 on Asos, are being launched in an ad campaign featuring Lizzy Jagger, 28, the model daughter of Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall, who coos: “After a day wearing Denim Spa, my legs feels great; they come out of Denim Spa jeans feeling more silky than usual.” So, do these sound “ooh!” or “ew!”?
Turkey Day is almost here. We all like to indulge a little bit on Thanksgiving but if you are looking for something on the lighter side this Quinoa recipe from The Foodnetwork is a great take on classic Thanksgiving recipe.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place the quinoa in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until toasted, about 2 minutes. Add 1 3/4 cups water (or use low-sodium chicken broth) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the olive oil and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer the garlic to the plate, reserving the oil.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork. Add the pine nuts, garlic, reserved oil, parsley, raisins and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and toss.
If you have ever attempted to put Ikea furniture together you are probably aware that the process can be tough enough to dissolve even the strongest of relationships. Ikea’s new REGISSÖR line is an attempt to address this pain point. The company promises that its new bookshelf, cabinets, and coffee table can be constructed in a mere five minutes. We are eagerly awaiting pricing and release dates!
We love fall because it means that its PUMPKIN SEASON. This pumpkin and sage soup is on of our favorite fall recipes from Foodie Crush.
- 4 sugar pie pumpkins
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound butter or 2 cubes, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 bunch sage, reserving a dozen leaves
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Over medium heat, heat oil in a large stockpot, add onions and bring temperature down to medium-low to sweat onions until translucent. Meanwhile, cut pumpkins in half and remove seeds.
3. Place sage leaves in each pumpkin half and place on a baking sheet, skin side down. Brush with a 1 tablespoon melted butter and roast for 45 minutes.
4. When softened and pumpkins can be pierced with a fork, remove from oven and peel skin from pumpkins.
5. Combine pumpkin with remaining ingredients into stock pot, except butter with onions. Simmer for 1/2 hour.
6. Remove from heat and add mixture to blender in batches, incrementally adding butter and onions. Adjust seasoning to taste.
7. In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons reserved butter and add reserved sage leaves. Sauté until lightly browned.
8. Serve soup with a dollop of mascarpone, fried sage leaves and a whirl of olive oil if desired.
We all secretly (and some not so secretly) wish we could look like Olivia Pope. Now we can. Emmy and Golden Globe nominated actress Kerry Washington and costume designer Lyn Paolo, in partnership with Elliot Staples, head of design from The Limited, have developed a new fashion line exclusively for The Limited inspired by Shonda Rhimes’ top-rated ABC drama, Scandal, which airs Thursdays at 9pm EST and premieres its fourth season this fall. “The Scandal” Collection which contains more than 70 items, with prices from about $49 to $250 will be released September 23rd and are scheduled to be available through May, the end of the 2014-15 television season.
We can’t wait to shop the fierce jackets and pant suits!
Our friends over at Just a Taste posted this deliciously treat that we just had to share. It will curb your cravings with out all the guilt! Try this one before it gets too cold out!
- 4 cups frozen strawberries
- 3 Tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (non-fat or full fat)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Add the frozen strawberries, agave nectar (or honey), yogurt and lemon juice to the bowl of a food processor. Process until creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the frozen yogurt immediately or transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Kelly’s Notes:
- I prefer a more tart frozen yogurt, but you can add additional agave nectar or honey if you want a sweeter-tasting dessert.
- Fresh strawberries can be used in place of frozen, however the fresh strawberries must be frozen solid.