The number one thing on our packing list is the new KidKit from LA based mom Michelle Stark. Kidkit is a stylish children’s travel accessories line with both premium travel products selected by a discerning California mom, as well as basic first aid items recommended by several pediatricians. Trying to corral all the different essentials for her kid inspired this mom to create pre-packed kits in vibrant patterns, stuffed with everything a little needs when going by plane, train, or automobile.
Choose the fully loaded Butterfly case (bubblegum toothpaste, mini Tweezerman nail clippers, Little Twig shampoo and lotion, Hello Kitty Band-Aids, and more) or the Robot kit (which includes a Spider-Man toothbrush, Cars toothpaste, and SpongeBob Band-Aids). Or go minimalist with the 3-1-1 pouch (Kleenex; lavender, mint, and lemon wipes; Purell).
We think the idea is brilliant!
This year WaySpa is a proud participant of the Shoppers Drugmart Weekend to End Women’s Cancer benefiting The Campbell Family Cancer Research Institute at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. It’s a weekend to remember those lives we have lost to breast or gynecologic cancer and a weekend to celebrate the lives we are saving. This is a Weekend creating hope for every woman’s future. With over $133 million raised, The Weekend has made groundbreaking strides in the fight against women’s cancers and thousands of lives have been saved along the way. Our team leader is Courtney Quinn. She has been a member of the WaySpa family for years and has recently had to deal with the devastating impact that these types of cancers have on individuals, families and communities.
DONATE AND WIN
To get the donations flowing we are sweetening the pot. Each week we will randomly select one supporter to win an amazing prize. Once you donate (minimum donation of $20) you will automatically be entered into the weekly draw and the grand prize draw of $500 of WaySpa certificates. To donate to team WaySpa please click here
Week 1 Prize: 2 passes to the Scandinave Blue Mountain (Winner will be drawn on June 14th). annnnnd the winner is RYAN DAVEY!
Week 2 Prize: $50 WaySpa Certificate (Winner to be announced June 22)
My name is Courtney and four years ago cancer came crashing into my life. My mom was diagnosed with lobular Invasive Stage 4 Cancer. She battled this horrible disease with courage, ferocity and grace. Unfortunately on June 26th, 2012 my mom could fight no longer. The pain that my family has gone through has been immense, at times unbearable, and I hope that no one else has to endure what I have. My experience has inspired me to play an active role in finding a cure for cancer. I have been on the Cancer Chair for about a year now and have been volunteering with the breast cancer society for 8 years. On September 7&8 The Wayspa team and I will be walking 60 kms in two days to raise money for The Campbell Family Cancer Research Institute at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. We will be joined by 4200 other people that will come together to support the fighters, admire the survivors, honor the taken and to remember that we can never to give up hope. Our goal is big and we need your help. Click here to see where your money goes.
Courtney and her Mom
We all have had cancer touch our lives. It might be members of our community or it might be your best friend, mother, child. I lost my one of my best friends to lymphoma when they were 36 years old followed by their mom with the same cancer two years later. Both of my grandmothers and my mom have had lumps removed from either breast or uterus – fortunately benign thus far. I know what it’s like to watch someone fight for their life and not be ready to die. I’ve watched others’ try to bolster the courage of those around them while they are hooked up to chemotherapy drips. There hasn’t been enough done until no more needs to be. Please join Team WaySpa in being part of the momentum that takes this head on and fights for a cure.
With these bright and unique travel bags you will never grab the wrong bag off the carousel again. These cheery bags by Japanese brand Hideo Wakamatsu–would kick off vacations in a fun way and make you smile while you’re living out of them in a hotel room. Aren’t they awesome?
Try spicing up your grill this summer with this great Green Chile Bison Burger from Eating Well.
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 pound ground bison or lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chiles, drained, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 cup very thinly sliced iceberg or romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium-high (or see Stovetop Variation).
- Place onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water.
- Place bison (or beef), 1 can drained chiles, 1/4 cup cheese, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 155°F (165°F for beef), 4 to 5 minutes per side. Top each burger with an equal portion of the remaining green chiles and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute more.
- Drain the onion. Assemble the burgers on toasted buns with onion and shredded lettuce.
Just in time for summer weddings, Target has launched TEVOLIO, a bridal line available exclusively at Target.com. The collection features chic, flattering styles for brides, bridesmaids and flower girls. Target has now become your actual one stop shop for everything. TEVOLIO, a name inspired by the Italian phrase for I Love You, Ti voglio, includes 10 bridesmaids styles, four bridal styles, and two flower girl dresses, with sizes ranging from 2 to 28. The collection is available at Target.com for $24.99-$130.
This summer condition your hair while adding a temporary spark of color. Water Color Hydrating Hair Masque has come out with a fabulous line of pretty pigmented conditioners. Go bright or mix and match the pigments to create your very own hue. They last about 2-5 washes and they run off onto your closes. The pigments will show much brighter on light colored hair but don’t fear brunettes you can still give them a try too! The masque retails for about $25.
The task of spring cleaning your home can be daunting. So when I cam across this “mini mission” from Bemorewithless and just had to share it. It’s a simple concept to simplify the most cluttered parts of your home.
This task will take less than ten minutes. Go to your closet and pull five items that you haven’t worn in the past six months to a year. Put the items in a bag and put them in the back of your car or by the door so you will will take them on your way out. Drop the bag at a local clothing drop center for donation.
See how easy that wise. In 10minutes you’ve cleared out some clutter from your closet. Now when you are feeling up for it apply the same principle to other areas of your home.
My sweet tooth was talking today so I decided to share my favorite delicious cookie recipes. I LOVE this “Cookies in Cones” recipe from Bite Me More. Such a fun play on your standard cookie! For more delucatble recipes and entertaining ideas head to Bite Me More.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 10 Ice cream cones
- Melted Chocolate
- Nuts and/or M&M’s
1) For the chocolate cookie dough, using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and icing sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, continuing to beat until well combined. On low speed, blend in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, just until flour disappears. Using a large ice cream scoop, pack the dough in tightly, overfilling the scoop slightly, then release the cookie dough with the spring-loaded lever onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes to freeze the dough.
2) Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake cookies straight from freezer for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before decorating.
3) To assemble and decorate, fill each ice cream cone with frosting and place cookies on top of the cone. The frosting will act as the glue, keeping the cookie firmly on top of the cone. Drizzle tops of each cookie with melted chocolate and sprinkle with chopped nuts, m&m’s or any decoration of your choice.
Peter Thomas Roth’s line is a comprehensive collection of products designed to treat everything from breakouts and brown spots to wrinkles and redness. Today we are focusing on the new FIRMx™ Peeling Gel ($48). It is a peeling gel that visibly rolls, lifts, and sweeps away dead skin cells when massaged onto skin. Multiaction enzymes (pineapple, pomegranate, and keratinase) along with cellulose effectively peel and help uncover a smooth, fresh, new complexion without drying, irritating, or causing undue stress to skin. It removes impurities and decongests clogged pores for a youthful, radiant look.
Our thoughts: This product leaves your skin feeling fresh and wonderful. Perfect for a skin pick me up as we head into spring!
When it comes to the sun the best offense is a good defense. Follow these three steps to ensure that you are protecting your skin
- Avoid the sun during peak hours. Generally, this is between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. — regardless of season. These are prime hours for exposure to skin-damaging ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun, even on overcast days.
- Wear protective clothing. Long sleeves, wide brimmed hat, and sunglasses.
- Use sunscreen. Liberal use of sunscreen is a key part of any program to protect yourself from the sun. Apply every day even if it is overcast. DONT FORGET TO REAPPLY.
The Sunscreens We Love:
Laroche Possay Anthelios SPF40 Sunscreen Cream: The key ingredient in this product is Mexoryl SX, this fragrance-free lotion protects longer than other broad-spectrum sunscreens that break down in the sun. The formula is also fast-absorbing, which allows you to put makeup on top without a heavy feel.
Coola Face SPF 30 Matte Finish We love this brand because they offer a “certified organic” and matte sunscreen. The product will naturally shield and nourish skin everyday with this antioxidant-infused, mineral matte SPF 30 sunscreen. Offering broad-spectrum UVA/UVB plus environmental protection, this light, natural cucumber scented formula gives skin an immediate line-smoothing finish.
Eminence Organics Sun Defense Minerals Easy to use, apply and carry anywhere, these natural minerals provide water-resistant SPF 30 sun protection to women and men alike. Hypoallergenic, non-clogging and excellent to use post-treatment, especially on red or blotchy skin. Darker shades can be used as a bronzer.